Whangara Low Birth Weight Bulls.
Always in high demand.
Why use a Low Birth Weight Bull?
Low Birth Weight (LBW) Bulls are a one-year bull, used to enable heifers to calve with minimal, if any, issues.
Whangara LBW bulls sell out every year, so if you’re interested, get in touch now.
Heifer mating with LBW Bulls
We recommend that commercial farmers interested in heifer mating use LBW bulls. These bulls have an EBV Trait score of less than +3.5 and are between 12 and 15 months old – an appropriate size to be mated to heifers.
Low Birth weight Bulls are what we consider a terminal one year mating programme bull. Like every rule, you’ll find the exceptions: sometimes an LBW bull has both carcass and growth data, and continues to grow out well after a mating season. In our opinion, this bull is a keeper, and this is exactly what we’re trying to achieve with this mating programme.
Every claim we make about herd improvement is backed up by facts. Kill sheets, weights, fertility rates, Angus Pure indexes. Fact after fact after fact.
- 30 kg heavier at 400 days
- 55% acceptance rate from Silver Fern Farms (vs. 28% regional average)
- 93% pregnancy rate
- No cull from 2017 bull calves
- 2017 Whangara Bull Sale was a sell out, achieving the best commercial bull sale figures for the region.
- 2016 heifers 25kg heavier than previous year; average weight 300kg